Lockheed Martin Center for Leadership
Excellence earns LEED Silver green building certification
The Lockheed Martin Center for Leadership
Excellence has earned the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC)
LEED® Silver certification. The USGBC’s Green Building Rating
System™, is an internationally accepted benchmark for the design,
construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
The CLE, a 300,000 sq. ft. conference center and lodging facility
located adjacent to corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland,
supports company training courses, business meetings and conferences.
The center includes a 250-seat amphitheater, 8 large training
rooms, 18 conference rooms, a full service restaurant and a fitness
center for employees.
The center, which opened March 2009, was designed, built and
operates with environmentally efficient features, including:
- Compacting, composting and recycling systems which divert
more than 90 percent of the site’s waste stream from landfills.
- Low-flow plumbing which reduces water use by approximately
- Construction products contained 23 percent recycled materials.
- 100 percent of the site’s paints, sealants and adhesives
are low-emitting and contribute to better air quality.
- Reflective roofing which reduces heat emittance.
- More than 5,000 energy efficient light bulbs which reduce
- Energy savings from the CLE avoids over 318 metric tons
of carbon per year.