LivingHomes’ C6 is a LEED Platinum level production home for less
LivingHomes®, a developer of sustainably-designed, prefabricated homes, announced the launch and national availability of the new LivingHome C6. The C6 is the first LivingHome that is affordably priced and comfortably sized for a small family or couple.
The C6 was designed as part of a new partnership with nonprofit Make It Right to build 150 cradle-to-cradle inspired LEED Platinum homes in New Orleans’ Lower Ninth Ward – the neighborhood hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of each C6 will help support the efforts of Make It Right.
The C6, built by Cavco, is available in most states for $179,000 ($145 per sq. ft.). The C6 can be fully constructed in less than two months and installed on-site in one day.
The C6 was designed by LivingHomes staff, and was inspired by the remarkable modern homes built by developer Joe Eichler throughout California in the 50s and 60s. Like many Eichler Homes, the C6 is organized around a courtyard that is accessible through a variety of openings and features an open floor plan that is ideal for outdoor/indoor lifestyles. Its size, 1,232 sq. ft., is well below the national average of 2,380 sq. ft. for new homes.
The three bedroom, two bathroom LivingHome includes:
- Cork floors, wood ceiling, natural wood millwork and wood siding.
- Multiple sliding glass doors accessing the backyard and courtyard.
- Floor-to-ceiling glass, clerestory windows, light tubes, and transom windows.
- Ample storage, particularly in the kitchen.
Full feature lighting control system, accessible from an iPhone.
The C6 is the first Energy Star® certified production home with a LEED Platinum level environmental program and cradle-to-cradle inspired products. It is also the first LivingHome to achieve most of LivingHomes’ Z6 Environmental Goals: Zero Energy, Zero Water, Zero Emissions, Zero Carbon, Zero Waste, and Zero Ignorance.
- Zero Energy: Energy efficient lighting and appliances, smart heating/AC control system to reduce power usage, photovoltaics for more than 100 percent of power needs.
- Zero Carbon/Waste: Recycled materials and cradle-to-cradle inspired materials. Carbon off-set included in purchase price to counter energy used to create the home.
- Zero Water: Low flow water fixtures. Grey water ready system.
- Zero Emissions: No VOC paint. Formaldehyde-free millwork.
Zero Ignorance: Real time feedback on energy usage.