American Recycler News, Inc.

 

Walmart to end landfill waste by 2025

Walmart released its fifth annual Global Responsibility Report (GRR) entitled “Beyond 50 Years: Building a Sustainable Future,” highlighting Walmart’s global top 10 list of achievements to reduce its impact on the environment, improve efficiency and address social issues. The new GRR unveils data against Walmart’s 3 primary sustainability goals to use 100 percent renewable energy, create zero waste and sell products that sustain people and the environment.

Top 10 achievements highlighted include:

  1. Reduced waste by 80 percent – Walmart prevented 80.9 percent of the waste generated across all U.S. operations from going to landfills. Walmart achieved this by implementing its Zero Waste Program, which consists of recycling, donating and repurposing waste. This figure represents 11.8 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions – the equivalent of taking more than two million cars off the road for a year. Similar efforts are under way globally. ASDA, Walmart's U.K. operator, sends zero food waste to landfills, and Walmart stores in China and Brazil diverted 52 percent of operational waste from landfills.
  2. Expanded locally grown produce – By the end of 2011, Walmart increased the amount of locally grown produce sold by 97 percent, which accounts for more than 10 percent of all produce sold in U.S. stores. Locally grown is defined as products grown and sold in the same state. Walmart is pursuing a goal set in 2010 to double the amount of locally grown produce it sells in the U.S. by the end of 2015.
  3. Utilized 1.1 billion kilowatt hours (kWh) of renewable energy – The United States EPA Green Power Partnership program now ranks Walmart as the second-largest onsite green power generator in the United States. Renewable energy projects provide 1.1 billion kWh annually, or about 4 percent of electricity for Walmart buildings globally. Walmart also purchases another 18 percent from the grid for a total of 22 percent renewable electricity as of 2010. Walmart has 180 renewable energy projects in operation or under development, which use a diversity of innovative technologies, including solar power, fuel cells, micro-wind, offsite wind projects and much more.