Subscribe

Renew Subscription
Update Subscription 
Marketing Services


 

JuLY 2007

Weyerhaeuser’s paper bags are set to replace plastic

Across the United States, cities are enacting legislation mandating recycled, recyclable, reusable bags at retail stores.

“It’s important that lawmakers, retailers and consumers have the facts about retail packaging alternatives,” said Bob Rovzar, managing director for Weyerhaeuser Company’s retailer segment.

“Recyclable paper bags are an environmentally sustainable, functional choice for stores and consumers,” he said. “They are made from recovered materials and are easily recycled, re-used or composted by consumers. This reduces waste and helps sustain the environment.”

The facts about paper bags

  • 100% recyclable at convenient curbside recycling or at recycling stations.
  • 100% compostable - paper breaks down quickly and naturally in the environment.
  • Reusable - consumers may reuse paper bags to carry, create and package.
  • Weyerhaeuser recyclable grocery sacks contain 40 percent post-consumer recycled content (paper bags, cardboard boxes and other papers); the remaining 60 percent comes from pre-consumer recovered wood fiber.
  • Weyerhaeuser recyclable paper bags meet or exceed industry specifications for durability. They hold up to 20 lbs. of goods and keep their shape when loaded.
  • 72 percent of the power used in Weyerhaeuser’s pulp and paper mills is generated by biomass fuel and considered greenhouse gas neutral.
  • Recovered wood fiber used in paper bags comes from manufacturing wood products which is a productive use of an abundant and renewable natural resource — trees.