NSWMA, SWANA issue comment on EPA reporting
In a joint letter to the United States Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA), the National Solid Wastes Management Association
(NSWMA) and the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) chose
to comment on the agency’s draft mandatory greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting
and its potential impact on municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills. As
the EPA proceeds with requirements identifying reporting sectors in this
rulemaking process, NSWMA and SWANA requested the following points be
- The solid waste sector has been successful in substantially reducing
greenhouse gas emissions.
- A new protocol for estimating fugitive landfill emissions should
- Carbon sequestration should be accounted for in estimating greenhouse
gas emissions of individual landfills.
- Strong enforcement authorities make third-party verification unnecessary.
- Biogenic greenhouse gas emissions should not be a mandatory reporting
element of a federal program.
The EPA greenhouse gas reporting would mandate the reporting of greenhouse
gas emmisions among all industries, including municipal solid waste,
above the EPA’s predetermined threshold. The EPA is still in the process
of developing the rule’s guidelines, and may or may not respond to the