TXU Electric Delivery takes action
to prevent copper wire theft
Dallas, TX— In the last 12 months, copper
prices have more than doubled and so have the number of copper thefts,
resulting in increases in reported phone outages, power outages
and construction costs.
TXU Electric Delivery is no exception when it
comes to experiencing wire theft. In 2005, TXU Electric Delivery
lost $633,000 to copper theft, excluding costs associated with outages
caused by the crime.
To help combat this trend, TXU Electric Delivery
has partnered with local police and area scrap yards to help identify
stolen copper wire and apprehend criminals.
This is a nationwide problem and TXU Electric
Delivery is taking several measures to address this issue:
- Replacing stolen copper with copper weld. Copper weld is steel
wire that is covered with copper. This material has the same electrical
properties as copper but usually not valuable to scrap dealers.
- Clearing foliage and increasing security lighting in and around
- Upgrading/installing security systems and perimeter fences.
- Securing equipment, materials, scrap bins, and vehicles that
must remain inside these facilities.
- When necessary, hiring law enforcement officials for added security.