SAE Int’l offers academy on automotive composites
After more than 40 years of promise, the next decade will see an explosion in the use of composite materials. Aerospace and general aviation have been using the technology for years and automotive and alternative energy markets are now on the cusp of broader implementation. Car manufacturers are already implementing and launching carbon fiber composite development programs and working with both domestic and foreign producers of carbon fibers and composites.
SAE International’s new “Automotive Composites Technology Engineering Academy” will provide an overview of different composite materials in terms of material types such as carbon, glass and natural fibers. The focus, however, will be on carbon fiber processes, typical applications, benefits and shortcomings and limitations. Participants will become familiar with different composites terminology, quality issues, costs and automotive market needs, and will gain a holistic understanding of automotive carbon fiber applications.
The Academy will run October 22 through 26 at SAE International’s Automotive Headquarters in Troy, Michigan.
With the significant weight savings associated with composites, it is essential for automotive engineers to become knowledgeable about this technology which may revolutionize the way carbon fiber is used in automobiles and ultimately be instrumental in meeting government mandates for fuel economy.
By attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the benefits of composites technology in automotive weight savings applications;
- Choose composites manufacturing processes that can influence quality;
- Identify engineering modeling methodologies for composite material and structural performance;
- Specify common methods for characterization of anisotropic composite materials;
- Evaluate the latest developments in non-destructive test methods for composite materials and structures;
- Identify and contrast damage and crush characteristics for composites versus metals;
- Identify assessment approaches to durability in composites;
- Identify recent developments and applications of composites in the automotive industry; and,
- Summarize the opportunities for weight savings with composites.