Depot awarded LEED Gold Certification
Office Depot’s global headquarters in Boca
Raton, Florida, has been awarded Gold Certification under the
U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) Leadership for Energy and
Environmental Design (LEED) for Existing Buildings: Operations
and Maintenance rating system.
Office Depot is the first office supplies retailer with a headquarters
building certified under any of the LEED rating systems. The
company’s headquarters is also now the first LEED for Existing
Buildings Operations and Maintenance certified building in Boca
Raton, Florida and one of ten in the entire state.
- Landscaping staff is utilizing fuel efficient, battery
- Underground water retention system designed to handle storm
- Commuter program that encourages use of public transit.
- Rain Sensor System designed to reduce water usage during
- Low flow aerators installed in sinks to conserve water.
Energy and Atmosphere
- Energy efficient interior lighting achieved by switching
from 32 watt to 28 watt fluorescents, which are 12.5 percent
more energy efficient.
- Conversion of garage lighting from 130 watt metal halide
lamps with ballast to 54 watt fluorescent lights led to reduced
energy consumption by two-thirds.
- Facility is carbon neutral as a result of Renewable Energy
Credits purchased from NextEra Energy.
- Motion detectors in all conference rooms, offices and restrooms
ensure that lights are off when a space is not occupied.
Materials and Resources
- New sustainable purchasing policies written to meet or
exceed LEED for Existing Buildings guidelines.
- New solid waste management policies were written and implemented.
- Over 90 percent of paper used in building is 30 percent
post consumer recycled or higher, and Forest Stewardship Council
- Low mercury lamps installed throughout the building.
- Steel case furniture triple-certified to the highest green
furniture standards: MBDC Cradle to Cradle® Silver, BIFMA Level
2 and SCS (Scientific Certification Systems) Indoor Advantage
- Carpet used in building is recyclable and 100 percent recycled.
Indoor Air Quality
- Green cleaning products for indoor janitorial use are Green
Seal and EcoLogo certified.
- Disposable paper cleaning cloths were replaced with reusable
micro fiber cloths.
- Fourteen on-site lime, grapefruit, orange and tangerine
fruit trees were planted.
- Durable goods 100 percent diverted from landfill through
building recycling program.
- 139 percent weighted green value of office supplies expenditure
was documented using Office Depot’s industry-exclusive LEED for
Existing Buildings Credit Report.
Approximately 1,700 Office Depot associates work at Office Depot’s
global headquarters in Boca Raton. The company leases the facility
from Boca 54 North, LLC, a joint venture partnership between
Flagler which oversaw the design and development of the complex,
and TIAA-CREF Global Real Estate Group. Office Depot partnered
with LEED consultant Envision Realty Services to manage the project.